Friday, January 9, 2009

Bussing Drama

Well I had a bit of unexpected entertainment on the way home. I had done all of those errands that had to be done before Seven before all of those stores closed and I was in one of those what do I do next kind of modes. All of the food of the dinner persuasion I had at home were all frozen solid so I was seriously considering getting take out. However whether I got something in the U-District or Lake City was very much dependent on when the next bus came. So I walked to the nearest bus to see when the next 72, my usual bus back to Lake City, would come. I found that there would be one in a minute and another in a half hour. While it occurred to me that a half hour was the perfect ammonite of time to run over to my favorite teriyaki place but I was tired and wanted to get home. Anyway the first half of the ride went as normal as I tried to think which was better logistical choice teriyaki, fried chicken from QFC, or Wendy's which was when the bus stopped. THe bus driver said that there was another 72 stopped in front of them and she would see if she could help and then nothing. After what felt like ten minutes people started getting off the bus. I held out thinking if there was nothing the bus driver could do to help she would have to move on. Finally the bus driver announce that she might be stuck there all night and it would be best for us to move to the nearest stop. As I got out I saw that the other bus was stuck all right and blocking the entire street. In a bit of snarkiness it occurred to me that the bus driver could have mentioned this a bit earlier. I walked from the bus to my apartment, a walk that took about 45 minutes, i played the if game; if i had taken the bus that was a half hour later they would have been detoured around the other bus and would already have my supper. Two other 72s passed me on the way home. I'm ashamed to admit that I flipped one of them off. At that point I saw no need to wait for another bus. I was mad and it has always been my experience that after you loose your temper it is best to burn off as much residual adrenaline as possible if you want to get to sleep that night, a brisk 45 minute walk to get home is perfect for that. THough I did finally stop for teriyaki on the way.

No comments: