Monday, June 15, 2009

Water Color of Discovery Park


I decided to throw in some of my occasional watercolors into mix. Watercolor, at the moment, is my primary non-virtual medium. I like it first because it is extremely portable and second because since it is such an forgiving medium where mistakes are VERY hard to correct, being good at it is something you can take smug satisfaction in.
For some reason though no matter how good my pieces are, and trust me I have some of them in my portfolio, I have a difficult time considering them anything more then sketches. Most of the reason behind this is a lot of them are... a good chunk of them are concept art for assorted story ideas and the rest of them are these...
In my frequent out door walks i like to bring my watercolor kit with me. Doing these pictures are good because the force me to hyperfocus on various objects and thus take in all of the details, as well as being a "running weights" kind of practice. Every now and then this produces something really good. However most of the time, like in this painting of the bluff in Discovery park, they can be charitably considered abstracts.

Here's the real thing for comparison (though I had a clearer day and Rainier was not hidden by the haze.)

No comments: