Monday, June 15, 2009

Well I'm Off To Maine

Well my three hour countdown to finish packing and getting everything ready before I head to Seatac. I'm off to Maine to spend some quality time with the folks and recharge the old batteries. I always come back thinner and feeling a whole lot smarter after a week of dinner conversation with a PHD and smaller servings.
I'm looking forward to several projects I have planned, mostly painting forests and coastlines as well as see how far I can get in rewriting an idea for a space opera i've had kicking around.
The only downside of course is the actual getting there part. The flight is a redeye starting at ten. Which means around four hours of sleep tonight PLUS jet-lag. On top of that I'm not the biggest fan of flying.
It's not a phobia, mind you, it's more a case of letting the imagination get the best of you. Thanks to a very bad made for tv movie in the eighties I was paranoid about hijacking LONG before 9/11. And I can think of more ridiculous scenarios a lot faster than my rational side can shoot them down. I think it's the giving somebody control of my life for an extended period of time. I have perfect faith in the pilot's ability and I know a crash is statistically as likely as a bus about two miles away from me careening out of control and keep careening in such a way that it eventually careens its way to me walking on a sidewalk. But in that extremely hypothetical situation I'm able to leap into a bush to get out of it's way.
Silly, I know, but there you are pre flight jitter. A fear of being out of your element for a week and thinking of all the things that can go wrong no matter how ridiculous.
Anyway I should be fine and even enjoy the trip, and I'll try to post some pictures. Otherwise see you all in July.

No comments: